View Single Post
Old September 14th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel pezington View Post
I'm not trying to insult anyone for having purchased a purebred dog, only wake them to the real reason a puppy mill exists in the first place.
Why does a puppy mill exist I ask you, because the pets stores need them? No, because people want purebred dogs that are marketed to them by society? Yes. So if we now get rid of the pet store where is this consumer going to go. Well hopefully to a reputable breeder, but more likely to the place that was supplying Pet Land in the first place. So what is the root of the problem? peoples desires to shop for pets perhaps? If we change peoples minds and make them realize they do not need to spend thousands of dollars to get a designer dog maybe they wont. Until we as a pet loving culture decide that it is wrong to market dogs this way, Nothing will ever change. Explain to me how I am wrong here?
You're right, you're original point was missed, at least by me. I understand what you're saying now. And for the most part, I do agree. As long as there is a desire for purebreds (a responsible breeder will never be able to keep up with the demand. And even if they could, many of the homes that purchase from a puppy mill would not be considered suitable by a reputable breeder anyway). Breeders will never "go away". There will always be a demand, unfortunately. But it is an opportunity to educate the public and make then aware that there are breed specific rescues as well as many, many purebreds in shelters. My hope is that by Petland making this change, others will eventually follow. And if not, then hopefully municipalities will step up to the plate and enact legislation to stop live animals from being sold in pet stores. There are a few places that have already passed it. I know it won't solve the problem, but it will put a dent in it

I also think that to be able to breed an animal, you must have a license to do so, and that the requirements will be very strict in regards to health testing, vetting etc. But again, that's probably not ever going to happen. Until then, we will just have to take any small advances we can get, such as the one Petland is offering.

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012