View Single Post
Old April 18th, 2009, 12:46 AM

Hazel here's the post corky/max mentioned:

Quote:
Originally posted by corky/max:

Meat is high in phosphorus (wasn't mentioned in my vet book in connection with the problem) Wondering if he was concerned about that being an extra stress on the kidneys at this time because kidneys have an extra load because of the stones--(urinary tract). I know that when a dog has kidney disease, you are suppose to use a special diet low in phosphorus but I don't see what it would have to do with creating the problem of the stones forming in the 1st place. Maybe you should ask for an explanation on this when you go back to vet. You stated that the BRAVO is meat only---Is it a 'complete' dog food or one you are suppose to add other things to? Too much meat (protein)and nothing much else is not healthy for the dog anyway. The dog needs some carbs--I use mostly veggies to supply that. I do feed oatmeal every other day or so for the morning meal with yogurt and whatever scraps of meat I have frozen in a baggie in the freezer for that purpose--and sometimes add a little canned pumpkin (not the pie filling--just plain pumpkin.) and sometimes add a raw egg . Most of the time I put the raw white in the hot oatmeal when I take it off the stove and stir till it turns white--but I don't always--sometimes I give the whole egg raw. If you are suppose to stay away from phosphorus (at least for the time-being) not sure but think most grains (oatmeal) have phosphorus. A dog also needs a little fat in it's diet. (Pumpkin may have phosphorus too) The cranberry enzyme powder sounds good---Where did you find out about that and where do you get it? Exspensive? Well, guess I don't have any more to contribute right now--except I think I read somewhere that asparagus was good for the urinary tract but may have phosphorus--could check out phosphorus content on the internet. If fed raw--all veggies should be crushed real fine otherwise the dog gets no nutrients from them--to do with not being able to break down the cellulous wall of veggies so they pass through with no nutrients being available to the dog. I crush mine in a mini-processor--Have to get real fine--ideally about size of a pin head--pretty hard to do but as fine as you can. Could also be juiced if have a juicer---and then you would add the pulp back in the juice. Hope Sonny feels better soon! Bye for now.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying