View Single Post
Old February 19th, 2006, 01:33 AM

6 Month Dane/Lab

I've had Leyna for 3 months now and she's 6 months weighing 73.7 lbs and is 27" . We found her one night during a snow storm in front of my house of the road. She was hungry, cold and very very timmed. We brought her in fed her a little cat food because that's all we had, a little water because she looked starved and gave her a warm place to sleep. The next day I went out bought her some food and left a note with the owner about a lost dog. I gave myself 2 weeks to find the owners and not become attatched.
After a week of having her I found the ad in the newspaper for her owners. I called them right away. It wasn't even the owners house, but infact their parents house, whom didn't want me talking to the owners..His son..Who didn't even live with him. They supposedly only had her and her brother for 3 days. When the man finally called me back 20 mins later he was very rude, ignorant and very ungreatful for what I had done for him. I explained to him that he had a Dane/Lab pup and that they were not supposed to be out for long periods of time in the cold. We exchanged a few words and his wife took over from there on.
They came and picked up Leyna. We asked for the money we had spent dog food and the vet bill ( I have a 2 yr old son and two cats, could take the chance if she had anything serious.) We also offered them 300$ for her. They refused, told us they had paid 700$ for her and her brother. Within an hour and a half of her being gone, we hear a at the door and there was Leyna...We were overwhelmed, didn't know what to do..Do we keep her? What are they doing to her? Uncertain, we called the SPCA. The woman told us, if they didn't call looking for her a second time, she's yours. After a half hour of her being at our house, already playing with Aidan on the floor..They call..I asked them how they could possibly loose her a 2nd time..How irresponsible can you be? Full grown adults I'm talking about here...It's not like the puppy could of possibly jumped over a fence. She could barely get up off the ground when she sat down. (Vet claimed it was probably due to mal-nutrition) They go on about how they aren't able to have a dog that is running away and if we wanted her we could have her. Oh ya, they had the balls to ask for the 300$ we offered them after they refused us. We returned the money they had given us and she was ours to keep.
To this day she runs around my back yard, relatives back yards and friends without a leash. With or without my supervison. She's amazing with our son, No growls, bites, looks etc...She's barked three times in the period I've owned her. She's very cautious tho and is coming a long well with her timidness. She does not enjoy the company of men with facial beards. and has a small case of seperation anxiety. (Chew Chew the carpets ) Loves to chase my two cats. She also plays fetch, gives/drops the ball, sits, lays down, stays, gives her two paws, and rolls over on command. Obviously she's a little stubborn at times, but she's entitled her own days :queen: She's our Gentle Giant. If only my son could listen as well as she and my two cats do.
Attached Images