View Single Post
Old June 30th, 2008, 08:25 AM

[QUOTE=Dr Lee;614462]A few questions I have in order to try to help...

1) The hind limb weakness is perisistent or episodic? Did your veterinarian identify this as a generalized illness or a primary neurologic problem? Where there any neurologic deficits identified? Is the weakness getting worse or better?

2) Is she indoor or indoor/outdoor?

3) Is she on any medications? Antibiotics? She was just treated for possible roundworms correct?

4) Other than the wobbly/weak hind limbs, what other clinical signs are being seen? No coughing, sneezing, vomiting, diarrhea? Changes in weight? Eating? Drinking? Is she drinking a lot?

5) Finally, the blood test. There was a CBC and glucose. Was a general chemistry performed? Any viral tests? Fructosamine level?

1. It is persistent. It seems to be the same (could possibly be getting a tad worse - I've noticed him limping a bit now when he does walk which is not often - it's been almost a week. The vet didn't identify it as anything!!!! Just said Xrays normal, including abdomen and hind legs, and blood work normal.

2. Strictly indoor - never been outdoors at all - although got him from a shelter when just a kitten.

3. No meds other than being treated for roundworms - the second dose of which was June 16 approx 1 week prior to me noticing this.

4. No coughing, sneezing, vomiting, diarrhea. I noticed he has lost a little weight by his collar. As I said earlier - he was 24lbs! I'm actually guessing this is b/c he doesn't want to get up from the couch to walk to the bowl. He does walk to the bowl - but if I bring him food, he gobbles it up. He is peeing and pooping. No change in drinking that I can tell. He does have a watery eye. (He's gotten this his whole life and the vet has told me a herpes virus - and it happens a lot when stressed.)

5. I'm not sure what all the labs they ran actually were. I did ask her about diabetes and she (the vet) said no. I haven't been able to get a urine sample. Tried all day Saturday, vet closed at 2pm, he went at about 5:30pm.

I plan to call the vet again this morning to set up another appointment. I just don't know what to do! I have no idea if it's a soft tissue injury and he just needs rest, if it's FIP and he's doomed, if it's neurological, if it's a clot (although I keep feeling his feet to see if they are warm and they are - thinking if a clot, they would be cold from lack of circulation.)

Any help you can give would be much appreciated. I'm at a loss and I'm sure the vet is just going to say - well - watch him and see!!!!!!!