View Single Post
Old July 14th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Senior Contributor

I use the one and only groomer in my town that does cats, and she even says in her literature that she does the cat "only if it is willing"....by that she means not causing bodily harm to her or the cat.

She has always told me that if ALL the cats she did were as co-operative as the 2 Maine Coons she does for me, her life would be a breeze.

Right from the first time I used her, she advised against the use of any traquilizers before grooming because it could hide any real distress that may occur during the groom. She also told me that my guys behaviour is completely different when I am not in the room with them......less acting out and trying to get to mommy!

If all the kitty needs is the butt area trimmed, why not try what 14+ advises. When the cat is quiet and sitting in a favourite place, use small scissors (I have a pair about 2" long) and trim up just a bit at a time. Not enough to make kitty angry as you will lose ground that way...but just keep at it and once it is completely trimmed, it should be easy to keep it that way.

With heavy double coats on 3 of my guys, trimming the butt area is sometimes necessary after a messy trip to the litter box.

Good luck, and patience!!!!!