View Single Post
Old July 15th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne_B View Post
For all I know, it was addressed and just not shown. But the fact of the matter is, out in the real world, you aren't always going to have control of your surroundings. You aren't going to know the history of every dog you walk by, but that doesn't stop you from going to the off leash park and letting your dog socialize, or letting your dog say hi to another dog you don't know on the street. All it takes is one owner that doesn't know anything about aggression, or can't control their dog. You can't always limit access either, because if you're assuming that every dog is aggressive, your dog would never get socialized. Maybe I'm just not understanding what you mean by limiting access? From what I understood watching it, he wasn't walking to the dog that was attacked. He was standing nearby, the dog lunged, and he pulled him back. What's your recommended distance, because a dog can pull and lunge across a pretty far distance in a short period of time. Sorry it just sounds kind of silly to me. I would be more of the opinion that if the owner knew that the dog had some aggression problems, she should have attended the seminar with a muzzle, it's not like Brad is a mind reader on what kind of issues a dog has when he's had very little time to observe them. This was Day 2 of a 2 day seminar in Toronto that he did, it was not a class where he knew all the dogs and students. First day was inside with 5 dogs (attendees submitted their dogs for consideration, 5 were picked to work with), second day was outside where everyone was invited to bring their dogs.
My dogs have never been to and will never go to a dog park. And no, they are not allowed to greet a strange dog they meet on the street. Recommended leash length - a couple of feet more then the length of the two leashes.

IMHO - knowing that people with dogs with behavioural issues often watch his show and attend his seminars, the first thing out of his mouth on that second day should have been the question "Is there anyone here who has a dog aggressive dog?"