View Single Post
Old June 13th, 2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
I totally agree, the understanding and compassion on this board is phenomenal. Your story of Kitty brought tears to my eyes and reminded me of when I had to PTS my cat, Egypt, several years ago. He had been very sick for over a month with IBD. It wasn't supposed to kill him. But several thousands of dollars later, it was clear he was only getting weaker and sicker, and one morning he gave me "the look". It pierced my heart like a sword but I knew instantly what I had to do. My husband and I couldn't get him to the vet fast enough. I don't know how he was able to drive through the tears but thank goodness he was there because I was a complete mess. Took me a long time to recover from his death. I take solace in knowing that a bit of his soul is in his brother, Aztec, who has adopted some of Egypt's characteristics since his death.

It's never an easy decision, even when it's clear what you have to do. My heart goes out to you for your loss of Kitty and for the struggles you're facing with Howie.

That's exactly how it felt! My hubby and I were talking and we both felt like we were putting them to death! In our minds we know it's the right thing to do, but our heart and conscience, tell us otherwise.

I think I've said this on another post but it bears repeating. My sister has been a ICU nurse for years and she finds it so hard to watch someone suffer, waiting to die. Although medications are much better than they used to be to keep patients comfortable, it's still a terrible thing. When Dr. Kevorkian was charged with murder she and many of the doctors in the hospital agreed that he was actually doing a great public service for the people he helped pass on. My sister says pets are the lucky ones because when the pain gets to be too much for them, we can help them take it away.

“The soul is the same in all living creatures, although the body of each is different.”—Hippocrates