View Single Post
Old August 25th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Agility Addict

Talking

Which Blue Buffalo food are you feeding and how long has she been on it? What was she eating previously?? If its the Basics Salmon and Potato recipe, that food still has common allergens like rice, flaxseed, canola oil.... Also the salmon could be preserved with a synthetic preservative that might be contributing to the allergies.

One of the best ways to determine 100% if your dog has a food allergy is to find a food that has ingredients she has never had...Dogs cannot have an allergic reaction to something they have never been exposed to.

Do you vaccinate your dog yearly? Or use flea/heartworm meds? Vaccinosis can often be the culprit.

While KetoChlor shampoos are often recommended for bacterial/yeast type of infections - they will do nothing to help the situation if its an environmental or food allergy. If the vet recommended this shampoo, then I assume the dog required an antiseptic applied directly to the skin because of a bacterial infection...but if that is not the case then I would not be using it... Anytime you over wash/shampoo a dog, it will strip their coats of natural oils - which are necessary for healthy skin and fur... Also, most of those shampoo requires that you clean your own hands immediately - which always makes me leary when told to apply and leave on my dog!

Omega 3 fatty acids and vitamin e is always helpful when they are skin and coat problems. But of course, if you are trying to eliminate fish, that can cause problems because your dog's best source of omega 3 fatty acids are fish body oil.

Also, how your vet interprets your dogs blood results can also play a huge factor... Dr. Jean Dodd's and her lab is the go to lab for thyroid disorders... How they process and evaluate the serum is so much better than a machine spitting out numbers at most vets. Almost everytime I do bloodwork at the vet and they say Dodger's in the therapeutic range, when I get him tested through Jean Dodd's, she says he's still below (I can only afford to send out blood twice a year to Jean Dodd's)... So that is something to keep on mind.

Good luck... it sounds like you have your cut out for you. Very complicated!