View Single Post
Old March 2nd, 2012, 02:25 PM

OP, first thing I would do is get her off the crappy food your vet suggested, it's full of corn and fillers. How on earth is that supposed to be a good diet for a dog with possible allergies?

What I would actually do, is put her on a raw diet, get her off kibble entirely. Even with some of the high quality kibbles, and even with the high quality elimination type kibbles, you are dealing with dozens and dozens of ingredients! For all you know she could be allergic to one of the manufactured vitamin additives in kibble in which case switching protein formulas will have no effect. The only way you can know for sure what's going into your dog (and truly eliminate the possibility of food allergies) is to prepare the food yourself or purchase a pre made raw product with clearly defined ingredients. I would do this first, and keep her on raw for a minimum of 2 months before making any further decisions. She needs to be on the new diet long enough for her body to shed all remaining toxins left from the old ingredients before you even begin to notice the benefits of a new diet. I know plenty of dogs who have had all sorts of mysterious skin and coat problems, were on multiple medications, and had their issues completely resolved by going on raw. It's such a simple solution and with such good history of success, it is the first thing I would be doing.

Also a little some thing regarding allergy testing I recently found out. There was a dog in our raw group who was tested to be allergic to chicken, could not handle it in kibble form, but absolutely thrived on a diet based on raw chicken. Don't ask me what exactly that means, just throwing some food for thought out there.