Thread: Canine Epilepsy
View Single Post
Old January 28th, 2013, 03:05 PM
ckennedy ckennedy is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Nova SCotia
Posts: 1
Canine Epilepsy

We have a 2 1/2 year old Goldendoodle. 6 days ago he had what I believe to be his first seizure. It seemed to be a moderate grand mal seizure and lasted maybe 2 minutes. I took him into the vet and they took blood and came back to report that it was clean and they likely culprit was epilepsy but that he may not have another seizure. He had another one that evening, less severe, that lasted about 1 minute.

The next day I reported it to the vet who said it was very likely epilepsy and that he might have another seizure soon or maybe not for 6 months. (He has not had a seizure since.)

The vet suggested putting him on Phenobarbital and monitoring and then if necessary adding Pottasium Bromide.

She said we could do it now, or wait to see when he has his next seizure and decide to medicate then.
We are going away to Europe for two weeks in a month and need to board him at a kennel. While we would rather not medicate him before necessary, we also think we might be better to have him on a regimen before trying to board him at a kennel. Also, we leave him at home during the day and our 11 year old daughter comes home an hour before we do and we would prefer her not having to see/deal with a seizure if possible. In short we are torn as to the right course of action and would appreciate some guidance.
Reply With Quote