View Single Post
Old January 20th, 2007, 11:39 AM

Thanks guys.
The problem was that his stools became loose all the time and there was a 3-4 day stretch that he had diarrhea. When this was happening we were primarily feeding him chicken necks, backs, and drumsticks that we bought from our butcher, and some veggies and green tripe. We took him to the vet because of the diarrhea and he gave us a holistic remedy consisting of slippery elm which worked really well and firmed things up. Since then, we put him back on the commercial raw and he's been doing great. I don't want to keep him on the commercial raw indefinitely though because our vet told us that the meat/bone ratio is approx 50/50, which seems like an awful lot of bone to me. I still think he is not getting enough actual meat.
I know Scott suggested I start from scratch as far as the raw diet is concerned, and I think I might do just that. I know that the concept of raw is to achieve a balance over time, not at every meal, but with the commercial diet I don't think I ever could achieve that because of the high bone content. Do you think I should keep him on the commercial raw for a while and maybe add just a tablespoon of ground meat from the supermarket to increase the meat content?