View Single Post
Old March 19th, 2006, 01:11 PM

Some of my fosters have been very similar - here's a couple things that might work.
Is the dog permitted to lick/play with family members in the same manner that you have described (ie. unsuitable 'guest' behaviour?)? If so, practice 'training' with her at home to let her lick/play with you and then teach her "enough" (or whatever command u want to use) to let her know it's time to stop - then see if a friend or family member would be willing to be subjected to coming over to be 'licked' by your dog - and use the "enough" command to further the training.

Alternatively, Bitter Apple spray can be used to teach a dog not to lick/nip/mouth skin, clothing, etc. Ignoring the dog when they do this has also worked for me. (I really don't like dogs to lick my face and discourage this with my guys by ignoring them if they try it.)

Giving the dogs a really good run during the day also helps - if this fails, I've given in and bought them a really great bone or chew toy to occupy themselves with when guests are coming over. The first few minutes are always hectic when someone new comes in, but if everyone 'ignores' them, they always go back to chewing their new bone.

When guest come in, you can also try leashing the dog, and stand on the leash with just a bit of slack. When they try to jump up, there won't be enough slack, and would be equivalent to a 'pop' while walk training. They learn it's not pleasant, and eventually stop doing it.

Good luck,
C.