View Single Post
Old November 24th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

What was the reason for the antiinflamatories and what were they? How long has / had he been on them for what purpose and what dose?

Firstly xrays of spine and neck. Pinched nerves 'can' be seen on regular xrays and so can other abnormalities. Has anything happened to his neck recently? Did he fall down the stairs or jump off the bed?

I'd like to know more about the antiinflamatories. Had he been on them before?

I would suggest an immediate referral to a vet that is a neurologist so they can do evaluation. Is there any sense of feeling in the legs?

I've seen a great dane nearly crippled because of a gentle leader putting stress on the neck. Dog could barely move. I suggested they not use the leader anymore and put him on a harness. Almost immediately the pressure and strain from the leader dissapated and the dog walks completely normal now.

That's why I ask, because if it's both legs it's probably nerves imho. Something is pressing on the nerves. Does he pull hard on the lead (I'd take his collar off too just incase, any small amount of pressure would aggrivate).
Do you tie him up at all? Could he have been pulling on his neck?

Aside from a neurological consult, there are vets that specialize in chiropractic care and management. I'd get xrays and take them and your dog to a chiropractor and a neurologist.

The only thing you have to do is ensure that your dog in the meantime isn't injuring himself and you may have to assist in bowel evacuation. You 'must' ensure the dog has bowel movements or an obstruction and compacting of bowels will make the situation 'worse'

I"m so very sorry for all of this but don't give up hope. There are a lot of dogs who if they don't recover from paralysis have harness carts with rear wheels that support them and they can still walk around just fine. So let's take one step at a time and find out the 'true' problem first.