View Single Post
Old November 24th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Senior Contributor

This sounds so much like the situation that first brought me to pets.ca. Our 7 year old shih tzu was losing his ability to walk. Hind legs weren't cooperating. The MRI was going to be 1700 but the doctors (yes we had 3 opinions) thought it was a herniated disc and that crate rest was the way to go. In retrospect we wish we had had the MRI done right away. When the crate rest clearly wasn't do the trick we knew something was wrong but were told to give it some time. He suffered needlessly and in the long run we spent A LOT more than 1700 dollars.

Unfortunately Joey had a tumor but by the time he was diagnosed he had passed the point where he could have been made stable enough to operate. We kept pushing the date off another week in order for him to get another transfusion, to gain some strength, etc. I have so much guilt over this. In my heart I feel that if we had taken a more aggressive approach, been more insistent we would have been able either save him or allow him a more peacable end.

Ask about Care Credit or deferring payments. Some vets can be very compassionate and will set up a payment plan or work with you to reduce costs.

Keep us posted.