View Single Post
Old August 13th, 2007, 07:18 PM

Cat with nerve damage knuckling

Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum but I found you when I was researching nerve damage to my cat's leg. Her history is that she had a bad fall in May which resulted in a fracture to her back femur. She had surgery to repair with a pin and wire. After 6 weeks the pin was removed and the fracture has healed just fine. The bad news is that she has no feeling from about her hock down. That means that although she can walk and run around the paw is folded under (knuckled) as she has no feeling, or awareness perception in her paw. My vets are saying that there was possible sciatic nerve damage from the pin and that we should take a wait and see approach. She did have some severe swelling and tenderness around the knee area, but that seems to have gone away. They thought that a time frame of 8 weeks after the pin removal should show results. We are now at that time but she is still not using the paw. Fortunately she is not self mutilating and the skin on the top of the paw has calloused over and so there is no injury to skin. She is an indoor cat and only walks on carpet. I noticed that a vet had posted a reply saying that the nerves heal very slowly. Does anyone have any encouraging reports on their own pets nerve repair after an injury, and how long it took. Or maybe the same vet can give some advice. I keep pinching her toes to see if the feeling is coming back, but I am not getting any reaction. She has started to shake that leg a little bit in the past couple of days - hopefully that may mean she is starting to feel something tingling. She is only a year old so she does have youth on her side. Any info or experiences would be appreciated.
Thanks, Thai's Mom