View Single Post
Old August 17th, 2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryevaoh View Post
I just don't know what to do any more except have him neutered, but I don't want to do that, especially if it turns out that isn't the cause. I'm tired of being blamed for other people's unsocialized dogs.
Unfortunately, some of the stronger reactions may be in fact because your pup isn't neutered. Since most dogs tend to be spayed/neutered at such a young age, when they encounter an intact dog - they have no idea how to react to the smell. I don't think it has anything to do with socialization (it could be in some cases, of course).

Loki is intact and we would run into that issue at one of the larger off leash dog areas. He never had issue with any other dog, but a few took issue with him - simply because he was intact.

I'm not saying you should run out and neuter your boy (although I am a big advocate for spaying and neutering - Loki is shown in conformation and thus can't be neutered), but you may continue to run into such issues.

Can you perhaps find a local dog meet up in your area? Maybe take him to some kind of obedience/agility classes and meet up with other dogs there? I'm not a big fan of traditional dog parks anyway - I prefer puppy play dates mostly.

Good luck!