Thread: Seed exchange
View Single Post
Old January 5th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Garden nut

Seed exchange

Just FYI, if anyone is interested.

A few years back we transplanted some wild growing purple Iris from our property to our front garden beds. Two years ago I got them to make seeds. Last spring 2007 I figured out how to make them sprout and start growing. They all survived the summer and grew a lot outside. They will take approx 3 years to bloom - that's the only downer about Iris seeds. lol

This past fall I harvested more seeds. They grow in a slightly marshy type soil, or can be "trained" to grow in a more dry soil and they adapt quite well, which is what I have done. Although I'd like to dig and create a bog garden this year.

Here's a pic of this type of Iris. Not the best pic but at least you can see the flower type. They bloom in late June, usually pretty close to St Johns Day.

I have more perennial seeds collected from last year and will get a list up. If anyone else is a plant nut like me then maybe we can exchange some seeds to get stuff neither of us have already and just pay postage.

I'm only interested in mainly perennials or bulb flowers. Annuals take up too much time to plant ahead and I prefer to have space for starting veggies instead.

Now, this coming fall 2008 I'll be harvesting and moving some of my big bulb lilies. I'd really like to trade baby bulbs with ones I don't already have, like the Orienpets, Trumpets or Martagons.

Or trade lilies with Iris. I don't have that much Bearded Iris and would like more colors to start in a breeding program soon. I only have purple, white, blue and pink.

About 80% of my flower gardens came from trades and only paid postage. The rest I got perennial seeds on sale and at the Dollar Store. lol I manually dig all my beds. Most of the money spent on the gardens was on soil building materials like peat moss and compost.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper