View Single Post
Old April 28th, 2004, 06:51 PM

I think what we need here is to take a big lap at the big bowl of calm and perspective. This is the first thread I've seen on here that's turned as nasty as what I see on hockey message boards, and am seeing the same words being used here as I see there...
"What I'm saying is..."
"You're not getting my point..."
"I didn't say that I meant...."
"When did I say that...."
"So let me get this straight.."
And so on and so on. Lots of assumptions, confabulation (for those who don't know, that means filling in parts of stories yourself you didn't get subconciously because the story doesn't make sense without the fill in), misinterpretations, misunderstandings, etc. I'm seeing lots of biting without the more polite warning growl first.

Let's get this straight. We're on the internet folks. On a message board. If we were all sitting in a bar over beers talking about the same thing, acting in a similar manner to each other......As Jim Morrison once said "No one here gets out alive" would likely be the end situation. All you get to see here is the text on the screen. Full stop, end of sentence. You don't know the person. You don't know what they are like. You don't know what they feel they have to say that they think is sufficient to explain themselves or their point of view, because they might be assuming you know more about them than you really do. Or not.
Anyone ever send an email to a friend with a little joke in it, only to have them calling you in a panic saying "Why are you so angry with me?" Emails, message boards, etc. can all be a very dangerous thing in my opinion. And all should be taken with a rather large grain of salt. Or a nice big mellow pill.

I find it hard to believe that anyone, and I mean anyone who has posted in this thread is actually intentionally or negligently harming their animals. I also doubt that everyone, and I mean everyone who posted in this thread is "the perfect pet owner". I find it hard to believe that everyone who posted in this thread took the opportunity to explain themselves absolutely and completely without excluding any particular detail, thus everyone is making assumptions.

If you want this board to turn into a wrestling match, have at it. It's the internet folks. Take it for what it is.