View Single Post
Old December 8th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Home alone, how many visits?

OK, I'm going away for two weeks and asked a friend to take care of the cats. She used to have several but developed allergies and had to give them up. She agreed right away. Since she lives close by and is not currently working, it seemed like a perfect fit.

However, in speaking with her, I realized that she didn't see the task in quite the same way as I did; that, for instance, if she skipped a couple of days - for any reason - it wouldn't be a big deal, as long as food and water were available.

It's not as if my cats will be waiting at the door to greet her or clamouring to play - they'll be in the closet until she leaves. Based on past experience they might emerge after a few days out of curiosity and she may get a hip check on day 10, but no guarantees. Anyway, I'm kind of obsessed with them being checked every day, given a little canned food, talked to briefly, scoop the boxes. Maybe a half-hour presence. Am I'm overreacting? She's not irresponsible and I know people who have comfortably left cats with only one or two visits a week.

Your opinions, please.