View Single Post
Old July 16th, 2004, 12:51 AM

I agree

I posted this on another thread a couple of days ago (about a kid who is asking questions about how to raise his new jindo puppy). It was never responded to, so I was happy to read this thread and find out I'm not the only one.

I've been to Jindo -- it's an island in Korea, where the Jindo dogs originated from. Lovely place... lots of Jindo dogs -- all of them outdoor pets. Of course, I almost always saw at least two dogs together, hardly ever just one. Perhaps they need company and that's why you're all suggesting it be raised inside?

By the way, a lot of you have excellent advice, but I think it would be better heeded if it was given in a kinder sort of tone. This kid is obviously doing his (or her) best, even bothering to find this forum and ask questions -- even before getting the dog. Give the kid a break.

In a perfect world everyone would do all their research before they get their puppy and then they would know exactly what to do. But humans are animals too, and are insanely flawed. Plus, most people have some experience with raising a pet, and that experience can give them some false sense of confidence that they know what they are doing -- when really their methods are outdated. I'm finding out that a lot of things I was sure are okay are not recommended (like alpha rolls, although I think it works with my little guy) even though I DID do a lot of research before I got my puppy AND I do have experience with raising puppies from my childhood.

If you really want to help people and their lovely pets, please consider phrasing your advice a little differently. That way, people will gladly take your advice, and will come back here when they have more questions. Otherwise, people will just get turned off and the pets will suffer. I've already been helped out a lot on this forum and am so glad that I found it. But I'm a little dismayed by all the bickering that goes on here. I hope that I don't end up finding myself in a quarrel from saying this...but I trust that my words will be regarded as peaceful.