View Single Post
Old April 18th, 2012, 01:33 AM

Exclamation I need some good advice

Hello all. I wanted to get this out there and wasn't sure where to post this. I wanted to get some input from other animals lovers, so I figured a forum like this would be a great place. I am keeping everything in this post anonymous, but would like to give as much detail as I can so people know the situation and can help me out the best I can. If anyone has good knowledge of laws in Ontario that would be great help too.

I know someone who is a Sheltie breeder. They have been doing it a few years now, and on her website claims a lot of things that aren't true. Such as, how well the dogs are socialized and brought up and cared for. The truth is, she doesn't spend any time with the dogs, and she never cleans up after them and hardly takes the time to take care of them. She would rather spend all her time on the phone with her friends then spend any time with her dogs. She literally spends no time with them at all, other than letting them out if she doesn't get someone else to do it. She rarely feeds her own dogs because she gets someone else in her family to do it.

Shelties are intelligent dogs, and they love to know they are loved and really want attention and approval. They crave attention from her, and bark and scratch at their crates when she comes into the room, but she won't even acknowledge them. I find it so sad seeing this. Most of her dogs are kept in crates all day, now large crates either, just big enough they can stand in. The crates are plastic crates and are filthy on the inside. Sometimes there is feces up the inside walls of the crates and sand and crash in them. Sometimes these dogs aren't let out often enough and are forced to go to the bathroom in their crate, then spend the night in it.

Shelties are high energy, yet her dogs stay in the house all day and don't get let out very often and when they are they aren't outside very long. Why is this? Because she has 14+ dogs in the house, and she lives in an area where she's only allowed to have 6 dogs. So she doesn't want the neighbours to see, because the humane society has already been to the house many times and have warned her.

The entire house is disgusting, the dogs go to the bathroom on the floor wherever they please, and I feel bad for any puppies she sells because they grow up thinking it is ok to go to the bathroom in the house. The problem with all this is, she knows other breeders that do a very good job with their Shelties, but they have never been in her house before and don't realize how her dogs are being raised. They get absolutely no socialization, and hardly any attention. She brought home a Sheltie the other day that is very timid and scared, and then she started yelling in the same room as this dog, thus scaring the poor girl even more.

If you haven't guessed yet I do in fact live in this same house as her, so I have to see this stuff going on every day. I don't know what to do about it. I risk getting kicked out if she knows I'm behind anything and I cannot afford that right now.

The humane society has already told her the dogs shouldn't be in crates that small for more than 2 hours. She honestly does not care about the dogs, I'm not sure why she is a dog breeder at all. She loses more money than she makes doing it and she is very much in debt to begin with. She is making everyone she lives with miserable and raising dogs to be scared and shy and afraid of everything because they've never seen anything outside of their own house/yard before. The dogs also don't get trained at all so they are very misbehaved and know no commands at all (yet she will claim they are well trained, etc to anyone that asks).

If anyone knows how to deal with this, please let me know. This needs to be taken care of because it can't keep going on like this. She shouldn't be able to 'raise' dogs in an environment like this. It's not fair to the dogs. There is no abuse at all, it is all neglect, but I'm not sure how that should be handled.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Kristyn