View Single Post
Old June 26th, 2010, 02:57 PM

Most obedience places *that I have checked into* require the puppy to have all of it's shots and a certificate of health. But that doesn't mean that you can't start training at home. If you plan on flying with a puppy make sure you call the airline and get the specific's that they need for proof of vaccination's and so fourth. I personally have never bought any books but have spent hours on line researching different style of training. I personally believe that from the get go a puppy should not be carried/allowed to sleep in the bed or be allowed up on the couch. Establish boundaries from the get go no matter how big or small the dog is. My chi's have the same rules as my lab. they sit and wait for their food, they are not allowed to jump on the couch unless they are invited they are not carried around ect.... I also think you should look into crate training. A lot of people think that crate training is mean because for the first few nights the puppy will whine and cry. All of my dogs are crate trained and they love their crate. It will also come in handy if you ever need to kennel your dog if you are going on trips and also to keep your puppy safe while you are doing things where you can't keep an eye on your puppy at all times. I still crate my dogs if I am gone to work or running around. Some nights they even chose to sleep in their crates. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this board that are willing to offer tons of advice. i am a bit far from the toronto area but i do have family there. I will see if they can give me any info that i can pass on to you.