View Single Post
Old March 8th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Our recent dog sled "races"

After months and months of big time training both for myself and the dogs we finally have raced a couple 'races' ( fundraising races)
The classes were 2 dog or one dog races so I couldn't run my entire team but we went out and did our best.
First weekend we ran the 1km track in 9 minutes and a bit ( it took the fast more motivated dogs 3 minutes lol)
I was super proud of my guys, Elmo did amazing as did Karma. they pulled their little hearts out at a brisk walk lol.
Here we are coming up to the finish line

For some reason the dogs decided to stop AT the line to say hi to the guy running the timer lol

"Oh yeah, we forgot... keep going"

We came in 10th out of 13 teams which is SUPER amazing to me

Last weekend we ran another race, the snow was super fluffy and deep on the trail which made it really hard. This time I ran Elmo and Marv and lent Karma to another driver who only had one dog. Karma did great with her new buddy that she had just met, Their time was worse than mine but I was so proud that Karma could go on another team with a dog who really had no idea what he was doing and work it out.
Elmo and Marv did really well, even though the trails were rough and our time was 10 minutes and some ( plus we stopped twice to pick up a camera and car keys dropped by another racer) we did far better in my eyes due to condition. This time we were 9th out of 12 teams, Karma was 10th with her team.
There was a race after that was the "anything goes" race so I got to hook 3 of them up for it. As you can see they run MUCH better in their places and together.

Elmo takes his job really seriously as the lead dog... "Be the lead dog, I am a lead dog"

I do have to have a little talk with him about sportsmanship though, when I told them that they didn't win again he was quite upset with this lol

"So, you're telling me we STILL didn't win"

I'm very sad to see all the snow leaving, this has been a great winter for us and having something that all of us can do together several times a day and still keep learning and getting better. I'm really looking forward to fall training now and next winters races
I have been officially bitten by the dog sledding bug