View Single Post
Old June 8th, 2004, 07:13 PM

Unhappy Pregnant cat bleeding - PLEASE HELP!

I am a U.S. Peace Corps volunteer currently serving in the West Indies. I have no access to vets or veterinary care for my cat, Maji. She is 7 months old and recently became pregnant.

Everything was going really well with Maji until last week. She started “spotting” a little – some clear fluid tinted with blood occasionally coming from her vaginal opening (is that what it’s called on cats?). Over the course of the weekend it became heavier and a bit more red in color and has continued. It is not all the time, just occasionally. It is definitely not only blood – it is mixed with another fluid. I am very concerned that she may have miscarried one (or more) of the kittens. Nothing has happened to her that might have caused her any stress or trauma or injuries – I am keeping her indoors these days and she stays very close to me. She is still eating very well and her stools are normal. She will cry every now and then – almost as though she is in pain – and she walks around then lays on her back on the ground. This seems to pass pretty quickly, but again, it concerns me. If we calculated correctly, Maji is in her 7th week of pregnancy. I don’t know what to expect – in everything I read, this does not seem like normal feline pre-birth behavior. If she did miscarry, it was in her 5th or 6th week, so would she have a kitten fetus still inside of her? If so, could she still go into labor? Can she pass it if or when she has the other kittens?

Any advice from you would be extremely helpful. Thank you for all of your help!

Cari