View Single Post
Old December 23rd, 2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~michelle~ View Post
Hey All!!

So the boys are pretty good but need some work on their recall and leash manners (they're good unless a distraction of another dog, or cat) we were thinking of giving clicker training a try for these. We pretty much know the basics but if anyone can give us the way they do it or any little tricks they use please let me know thanks a bundle!!!

Michelle and the Boys
I used the clicker sometimes to train new behaviours. I find it is useful to train complex behaviours as it helps you mark the exact second the dog is doing what you like. For example in agility its difficult to say "good dog" at the exact second the dog is going over the jump but you can click.

Alternately I use a short word such as "yes" to indicate the part of the behaviour I liked.

I'm not sure how much you know about clicker training but this is how I start out a new behaviour:

1) Lure the dog with a small treat and click to mark the second he does the right thing
2) Repeat, repeat, repeat until you can bet that he will do it when you give him the signal
3) Add the word right before you can predict he will do the behaviour
4) Put the food in your pocket so you are no longer luring
5) Start reinforcing only the really accurate or really fast responses

If you find he is confused just back up a step!
Come Visit Us! http://myminizoo.wordpress.com