View Single Post
Old December 2nd, 2009, 04:35 PM

Hills Prescription Diet C/D - For a Cat with a UTI

Hello All:

My cat, Dash, was recently diagnosed with a UTI due to crystallization in her urine after her annual vet exam. She is 3.5 y.o. indoor cat. I'm personally a believer in more holistic approaches to treating pets and do so with my canine companions, but I'm sadly uninformed in the feline world... this kitty was a stray that chose us as her forever home. Unfortunately, my regular vet (that I trust and love) who mixes in holistic approaches only sees dogs due to cat allergies so I have to work with other vets at the clinic who I'm not as comfortable with.

The vet has prescribed Clavamox twice a day and I am supplementing with yogurt to try and counteract some of the negative effects of antibiotics. My MAJOR concern, however, is that she has prescribed Hills Prescription Diet C/D as a lifetime diet. I just feel that is unnecessary and am looking for some input as to whether others have found this necessary.

Dash's regular diet consisted of Orijen - 6 Fresh Fish dry food and Eagle Pack Holistic wet food (differing formulas). As for treats she gets "people food" as in cooked chicken, meat, etc. and that is pretty limited.

I feel the UTI may have been caused by us going away and leaving the neighbour's daughter to watch her who ended up feeding her pretty much a whole bag of Whiskas treats... my bad, I know better, and it won't happen again!

Any advice would be much appreciated in this matter.