View Single Post
Old May 6th, 2012, 02:35 AM

There are a couple of other points that I want to share with you.

If, in the worst case scenario, the leg were too badly damaged and amputation is recommended, you should know that cats are well-known to come through this successfully and enjoy full and happy lives.

If she were mine, I'd keep her very confined when she first comes home, then restrict her to a small space where she has little opportunity to jump/leap etc.

The second point concerns the choice of pain medication. There is a relatively new medication, an anti-inflammatory, which is being touted as the best thing since sliced bread. It does relieve pain remarkably well and is a breeze to administer to cats. The problem is that it destroys kidney cells in any dosage. It's a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) and cats have evolved without the necessary liver enzyme to metabolize it...it therefore ends up in the kidneys where it wreaks havoc. This drug is meloxicam, a common brand name is Metacam. see http://metacamkills.com

There are many other pain medications - all "narcotic" - which will provide adequate safe pain relief. I would specifically request that Metacam not/never be used in my cat.