View Single Post
Old March 17th, 2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
I am very curious as to what Dr. Lee has to say. I wonder if this condition can be inherited in the off spring. This subject is very important as I have a dog from a breeder that has hot spots as a life long condition. Personally, if it turns out that it can be inherited then I would love to sue the breeder if I could. But of course...the lemon law will do me no good as this poor dog was dumped at a shelter for euthanasia and the breeder had no interest whatsoever to take the dog back.
Welcome.
BenMax,
Hot spots are a skin infection, so they can not be inherited. There may be an inherited condition causing your dog to have delicate skin, but more likely not. In my dog's case physical trauma to the skin was a factor, that's not her fault.
You can have a lot of bloodwork, allergy tests, etc. done to try to see what is going on with your own dog, but in the end even if it turns out your dog suffers an inherited condition, it is a breeder's choice whether to guarantee a puppy at all. Mine are guaranteed free of all hereditary/congenital problems for life. Yours, having come from a shelter, would only have the health guarantee the shelter provided you.