Thread: The TJTwitter
View Single Post
Old January 30th, 2010, 05:13 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

omd, Winston! I just checked to see where Hamilton was on the map for the first time and I think you're actually farther south than we are! I never would have thunk it.

What you need is a field guide for eastern birds. There are a lot of good ones out there. My favorite is the Golden version: A Guide to Field Identification BIRDS Of North America It seems to be quite tolerant of dog spittle, being left out in the rain, being dropped into poison ivy, etc... ( I can be a little hard on field guides.) Nice slightly plasticized cover that can be wiped off if necessary. It's also a nice small size--it fits in a pocket of my photo vest.

You can also get guides that show actual photos as opposed to drawings, but I find they can be a bit confusing. A drawing can show all the field marks that aid in identification, but it's much harder to catch them all in a single photo.

As for your birds, the beige doves are probably mourning doves:
Name:  dove.jpg
Views: 1486
Size:  28.7 KB

Here's a chickadee:
Name:  chickadee.jpg
Views: 991
Size:  25.8 KB
I'm sure you have some of those.

The little brown ones could be house sparrows if they have black bibs, or goldfinches if they have black-and-white wings, or even house finches if some of them have sort of reddish heads...actually, there are a number of birds that might fall into the little brown bird (LBB) category.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."