View Single Post
Old March 7th, 2006, 02:25 PM

Hi again,
I thought of another thing I used to do with my lab during his teenage rebellion. I leashed him to me. So, watching TV, he was to lie down at my side (at this point if he is being a pain, I wouldn't let him on the couch). If he started to chew something, I'd give him a leash correction and say "NO". When he was calm, I'd drop a treat beside him and say 'good Sam'. I just tied the leash to my belt and he had to walk around with me all the time. This way, he did not get into trouble because if he tried I was right there to correct him.
Have you heard of NILF? (NOthing in life is free). The dog is to follow a command before everything he wants (Sit, then go out... Lie down, then get fed. etc). You might want to google this.
Taking him on a long line to the park and playing fetch is excellent.
Oh, and I'm surprised at your trainer. I've found that most adult dogs are remarkably forgiving and tolerant of puppy behaviour-- it's once they get older and haven't been socialized properly that the older dogs get annoyed. (mind you your dog is 7 months right? So maybe too late for that.)... It's ok if an adult dog growls or warns your dog not to jump at him (as long as he doesn't bite him). This is how puppies learn NOT to do that.

Last edited by phoenix; March 7th, 2006 at 02:28 PM.