View Single Post
Old October 25th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Glad to hear you're going to try some more options!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VERB View Post
Frederick-Douglas has been to the vet and has a clean bill of health.
I'm still curious about what tests the vet did and what the results were (and when). Do you ever request a copy of the lab work? I think it's a good idea to maintain a file for each pet at home so you have something to refer to, or if you need to go to a new vet (or an emergency vet), than you can provide some valuable background info.

Quote:
This is more specifically a behavioral issue and I knew that off the bat.
It's not always that easy to tell though. For instance, interstitial cystitis, which is a medical issue, is directly linked to stress (and stress for a cat is often different than stress for a human). So sometimes these things will *appear* behavioural but will have health-related origins.

Quote:
This has been an on and off thing for him for quite some time.
Then my suggestion would be to maintain a log-book of any future incidents to see if you can find a pattern. For instance, there might be a correlation to buying new furniture, working different hours, changing the laundry detergent, etc. Cats thrive on routine, some more than others, and maybe Frederick is particularly anal about having everything just *so*. Things we don't think twice about can have big repercussions for our feline friends, upsetting their world as they know it. That might partly explain why Frederick is so needy - he craves your reassurance that everything is going to be okay.

Quote:
I love all my cats dearly -- they're my kids.
How many cats do you have? Do they all get along (and sometimes when cats don't get along, it's very very subtle, so subtle we obtuse humans don't always notice - like one cat will lie in the doorway to the room with litter boxes, passive-aggressively preventing other cats from going in there).

Thank you for not giving up on Frederick yet. Your all he has in this mean ol' world.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler