View Single Post
Old June 30th, 2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtisIsMyCat View Post
The Phosphorous content for each of the varieties you've requested is below.

Chicken - 0.14%
Turkey - 0.18%
Lamb - 0.18%
Salmon - 0.20%

Seems like Chicken, Turkey, and Lamb are all even lower than the Felidae I found (which I haven't opened yet). Seems okay to me, no? I tried doing the calculation you've included, Growler, but it's too confusing for me.
Ideally it is always better to use the actual value for water since it is essential to the formula but the actuals for water are generally not too far off the max. Any other ingredient you are using in the formula must be exact, no using mins & maxs - it will throw the calculation way off.

Wholesome Turkey has max 85% moisture as listed on their site

100-moisture = dry matter; phos/dry matter * 100 = dry matter phosphorus

Break it down in to smaller sections:

100 (represents total of protein, fat, carbohydrate {not listed}, fiber, ash, and water) - moisture (water) = dry matter (what's left of everything without water)

100-85 (moisture) = 15 (dry matter)

phos (or whichever ingredient you want to check) / dry matter (calculation from above)

0.18 (phos listed above) / 15 (dry matter calculation from above) = 0.012

* 100 (* by 100 in order to get the percentage value) = dry matter phosphorus (the amount of phosphorus without water)

0.012 * 100 = 1.2 dry matter phosphorus percent in this brand flavour of food

100-85 moisture = 15 dry matter; 0.18 phos/15 dry matter * 100 = 1.2% dry matter phosphorus

Halo WholsomeTurkey 1.2% dry matter phos is good less than what I consider should be the max 1.25%

Halo Wholsome Chicken is too high 1.4% phos

100-90 moisture = 10 dry matter; 0.14 phos/10 dry matter * 100 = 1.4% dry matter phosphorus

Halo Wholsome Lamb has good phos 1%

100-82 moisture = 18 dry matter; 0.18 phos/18 dry matter * 100 = 1% dry matter phosphorus

Halo Succulent Salmon is too high 1.66% phos

100-88 moisture = 12 dry matter; 0.2 phos/12 dry matter * 100 = 1.66% dry matter phosphorus

Of the 4 Halo cans only the Turkey & Lamb are low enough.

The Felidae chicken & rice you mentioned earlier is right in the middle of the two Halo cans @ 1/16% dm phos

From their site: Moisture actual 77.5; phos actual 0.26%

100-77.5 moisture = 22.5 dry matter; 0.26 phos/22.5 dry matter * 100 = 1.16% dry matter phosphorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtisIsMyCat View Post
This is our first follow up since the catastrophe and I am crossing my fingers that he is okay. After that, I can concentrate on getting this food issue organized.

As a side note, T/D contains "pork by-products" - I always thought pork was bad for cats?
for the appt

Pork is very high in fat which can lead to other issues including pancreatitis, I've read some that say pork is highly digestable but then when I asked at the raw food store here they said no it's not.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Last edited by growler~GateKeeper; July 1st, 2010 at 01:30 AM. Reason: spelling