View Single Post
Old September 21st, 2008, 12:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRott View Post
You certainly wouldn't judge a border collie by the rottweiler standard!
Of course not, and that's not what I meant. I meant that within the border collie breed there can be tiny dogs, big dogs, different coat types, different ear sets etc. since they were originally bred for their abilities and not their looks.

Quote:
The point of breeding is to preserve the breed - so you breed the best to the best.
Agreed

Quote:
If your show dog doesn't show a lot of working drive - then you breed to a dog that does.
This is where I strongly disagree. When we're talking about border collies, a dog without working drive and proven herding ability should never be bred, regardless of how well it did in the show ring. Both parents should be proven working dogs to maintain the integrity of the breed.

Quote:
You may well be right that the borders' work ethic will decline due to recognition by the CKC. To be honest - the sight of a show German Shepherd makes me cry. I honestly can't see how those poor dogs can NOT have hip and elbow issues as the breed them for the look they are now. Used to be, they were stacked in the ring to get that long, low look.
It is sad to see that happen to a breed. It happens with horses too. Quarter horses for example. There are the performance horses and then there are the halter horses with huge muscled bodies and tiny feet. Could those halter horses ever do what they were bred for, race a 1/4 mile without breaking down? Not likely.

Quote:
The trick is to EDUCATE. If everyone that wanted a dog would simply do their homework - know about the breed they are interested in, from coat to temperment to health issues. Know what to look for in a REAL breeder.
Yes, yes, yes, I couldn't agree more.

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com