View Single Post
Old October 29th, 2010, 02:45 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Im in Calgary, and have used many daycares and off leash parks here.

As for a park that I could bring my pet too, and run her and stay with her, I might use that as long as the other users were respectful and could control their pooches!! It would have to be sanitary and maintained.

This is just my experience with daycares here in Calgary...

I use to use daycare alot but I found it very expensive ($27 a day!) and Dazy got sick way too often, and her behavior become agressive due to lack of supervision and control by staff. I dont agree with all dogs being together, they should be seperated by size and the way they play, 2 wrestling goldens could really hurt smaller dogs! 2 labs chasing tennis balls could easily run over other dogs. I also think staff needs to be trained on behavior and signs of agression, this aspect is seriously lacking at the daycares here, altho there are "trainers" they are not trained in resource guarding, pack metality, how to react in situations etc... I think in alot of cases the intentions are great, they love dogs, they want to exercise your dog..but putting 20+ dogs in a room without being trained is a disaster waiting to happen. At one point there were 2 staff and 40 dogs, that is unacceptable. The ones Ive used ask for vet records when you first fill out the forms but didnt ask again for yearly renewal proof, we were never informed when something was going around. Dazy got so many eye infections, kennel cough, viral infections, and her behavior became aggressive from being at daycare in an uncontrolled situation. Even after she became agressive, thye never told me about her bahavior until i witnessed it myself, then I pulled her, the response I got was "ya, she's always like that". This is all just my experience. I do love that there are places to go with your dog, they need to burn off energy thats for sure! When I got preggers and went on mat leave she stopped going to daycare, she was not sick once after that!

I love that Calgary is a very dog friendly place. Personally, I trained my dog to walk on a treadmill during the winter, and I get my butt to the off leash area as often as possible - good for both of us, this is the only way I can ensure my dog is healthy and happy. Ive used the resort with the pool before, and that was awesome, she swam for 2 hours straight! The weather here isnt all that bad, the cold crappy stretches are 1-3 days at a time, and Ive never seen it -40 but it does get cold. I also own a big dog, that doesnt mind bad weather...so its never really been an issue for us.

My post isnt meant to discourage you in any way or argue whether doggie daycare is good or bad, there is just alot of things to think about when you decide to be responsible for other peoples pets. (for the daycare aspect of your question)

I think your intentions are great, your enthusiams really shows, I wish you all the best!! This really is the city for such a place! Good luck!

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)

Last edited by Ford Girl; October 29th, 2010 at 02:56 PM.