Thread: Crate Training
View Single Post
Old December 23rd, 2003, 03:59 PM

I haven't scolded him for his accidents. I thought about crate training secause it was recommended by the Humane Society. Apparently he had been w/a familt then brought to the shelter, adopted out and returned again b/c of "destructive behavior". At first this made me a little leery, but I have yet to see destructive, I see "puppyish behavior". I also considered the crate for the following reasons, I am in a condo when he hears neighbors stomping around or other doors slamming it seems to make him nervous-I heard that dogs can think of their crate as a "safe place" like it's their bedroom. Secondly, I have four cats ages 10 & 11 who have had total run of the household since they were kittens. Now they tend to be scared to come out to eat, play be lazy, whatever they do. This makesme feel somewhat guilty because I have disrupted their daily behaviors. I know you all are probably thinking then why the dog? Well my grandmother passed away about a month ago, my grandpa is very lonely and I thought the dog would be wonderful for him, he didn't think so so much. I brought him home with me and didn't have the heart to make another trip to the shelter for Rex. I am now attached to him and I want to give him the most loving home possible. I am a complete animal lover! Thanks for the info!