View Single Post
Old July 24th, 2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO22 View Post
While I uderstand your frustations with the pet overpopulation...rehoming as nothing to do with the pet overpopulation. It has to do with not spaying/nueturing your pet.

As life happens, sometimes people have to find new homes for their pets. I also disagree with your statement that 'rehome' is another word for 'dispose'. How do you get that?

These people who are trying to find homes for their pets could have just simply dumped them on the side of the road, or tied them to a tree and walk away. This is what I call disposing of a pet. Not someone who is trying to find their pet a new loving home.

As an Animal Protection Officer, I see animals that are disposed of everyday. I also see people who surrender their pets, due to circumstances in their life, they unfortuntatly can no longer provide for their pet. These people could have very easily just 'dumped' their pet..instead of bringing their pet into the shelter.

Also, What about local newspapers that have ads for pets for sale/free to a good home. If you are going to target an issue...you have to target the issue has a whole and every venue.

I also have to mention those responsible breeders are also contributing to the pet overpopulation...for a quick buck.

In my opinion rehoming is not disposing. I understand that it is frustating to see these ads in the paper and myself hate to see them..but there are so much other worse ways that these people could have done. I am more less tolrate then all the breeders on the net, in the paper. Like I said above, these people are huge contributers to the pet overpopulation...but once they have 'responisble' in front of their name, every one seems to forget about the overpopulation.

Lets just hope for whatever life brings you, you will not have to be in the position to find your pet a new home.

ACO22

I agree, rehoming isn't so much the issue. Sure there are poeple who do it in a "disposal" kind of way. for example there was a woman in my subdivision when I was in high school, who kept buying puppies. Once the puppy was no longer a puppy and "cute" she'd "rehome" it. Only to get another one. So in her case rehome did mean get rid of or dispose of.

But, we do live in crazy times where people are losing good jobs and they only job they can get is less than half of what they use to make. And whether or not the LAW says you can have pets, landlords can still chose to rent to someone without pets. I moved in to a place once, and didn't tell them about Roxie. They didn't ask and I didn't tell. I was the worst thing. they became hard landlords, the second they found out. So it can be tricky.

But I still think that there are things that people can do to help pets. Starting with s/n. I really think it's a feiable option to have free or low cost s/n clinics and for rescues and the spca to have all thier charges s/n. I also think that breeders should follow up on their s/n contracts. Just cause they sell a dog on a non-breeding contract doesn't absolve the responsiblity. All it means to the buy is the pups can't be registered. And a lot of people dont care about papers, they just want a good dog. So there's a lack of edcaution that needs to be addressed, and breeders who KNOW need to follow up. Take the dog back if proof of alteration isn't provided by say 6 months. Alter them before they leave and increase the price a bit.

But the thread was about ideas. So lets give the op some! It may not be for battling "rehoming", but if we can deal with other issues that may resolve it self anyway.