View Single Post
Old January 4th, 2009, 08:09 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckon View Post
I'm sure I'll get heckled for posting this:
Paul Loeb method for potty training a dog:
this method works VERY quickly, most dogs will understand/pick this up in less than 2 days.
mature dogs (a year old or more) will get this in a few HOURS, and after learning, hardly EVER make mistakes, while puppies will take a little longer as their memories aren't as established as a mature dog, and they need more "reminders"
you'll need:
roll of paper towels
bottle of white vinegar (I fill a small squeeze"kethup" bottle)
bottle of tabasco
dogs sense of smell is acutely attuned to acids, they can pick up only a couple of parts per BILLION with acids, and is how they communicate with urine. you will use the vinegar as your "pee", the dog will instantly understand that by covering doggy urine with the vinegar, you are "claiming" the floor.

here's the procedure: when doggie makes a mistake, you go get the dog and bring them to the urine/poop spot, it is CRITICAL that you have NO EMOTION when you do this, you must remain calm, or doggie will get confused.
you should have already set the roll of towels, and the bottles of vinegar and tabasco nearby, now here's where most people freak out: sit on and straddle the dog so the head is sticking out between your legs, and take a rolled up towel and dab it in the urine, now place that IN the dogs mouth (yes, I know), now while the towel is in doggies mouth, you say "no" calmly, then squirt some of the vinegar onto the pee/poop, and take the towel out of doggies mouth, again dab it in the now "human scented" pee, and again place it in the dogs mouth, and repeat the "no", again VERY CALM,..now remove the towel from doggies mouth, and take a tiny drop of the tabasco on your finger, and dab it on doggies upper gums, just under the nose, and again repeat the "no" command,......now calmly release doggie, and let them go about their business,....for about 10-15 minutes after the "correction", just like ceasar says : "no talk, no touch, no eye contact" which helps re-enforce the training.

leave the vinegar urine spot as is for a few hours, so doggie runs across it several times, reminding them that YOU OWN THE FLOOR, then clean it up with an enzymatic cleaner, and I drop a couple of drops of the vinegar on the spot after it's clean, so that doggie gets a reminder that they are not allowed to pee/poop on the floor.

as you are potty training doggy, you'll need to pay careful attention to doggie so that when they need to go, you recognize the signs (looking around, whining, pawing at the floor, etc,..) and get them outside BEFORE THEY GO, and when doggie DOES go outside, give lots of praise, good boys/girls, and maybe even a treat, just whatever reward you give doggie, BE CONSISTENT.

remember a dog will not remember the ten thousand times you said "no", they just remember that ONE TIME YOU SAID YES so consistency is CRITICAL if you expect doggie to understand what your rules are.

now this will seem somewhat severe to the average dog layman, but I rehabilitate shelter dogs, and even with a 4 year old completely neglected, wild, non house trained dog , they "get it", in less than a day (most in just a few HOURS), and rarely make mistakes after.

nothing else I have tried works this well, or this quickly on SOOOO many dogs of all ages, and personality types.

let the flaming begin.
Thank you so much for putting up this method. I have been trying to break my 6 month old puppy for peeing on the baby gate that we put up in the kitchen when he goes to bed (I fear that he will go throughout the house if we let him loose). I really hope that he takes to this method though. When I read the method at first I was a little bewildered about putting pee in my puppies mouth and what not, but then again I thought that it made sense because it kind of plays along with how dogs claim their territory as well. Thanks again!