Thread: Barking
View Single Post
Old February 1st, 2005, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaana
About the housetraining, may I suggest the umbilical cord method? The puppy is in the house on leash and the leash is attached to you (or your girlfriend). That way, you always know where he is and as soon as you see him start sniffing and turning, you take him out. It removes the risk of all of a sudden, noticing he's busy doing a pee or a poo in the next room. When you take him out and he pees or poos, you praise him like crazy.

Also, what kind of food is he getting? And how much does he weigh? If he's not getting a good quality dog food, he might be eating too much of it and that is not helping with the quantity and frequency of bowel movements.

HTH

Lyne
thanks.

i am not sure of the brand of dog food. the breeder gave it to me, i am still waiting for him to adjust to his new home before i start integrating a new food. i read on this forum food suggestions and i will look for them when i do start to integrate.

the dogs problem isnt supervision (unless you count when we are sleeping). we close the doors to the other rooms so he can only be near one of us. he naturally wants to walk around (you cant expect him to sit in one place for 8 hours) and he will just suddenly squat and pee.

he really isnt doing much of ANYTHING BUT sniffing so its pretty hard to judge when he is about to go to the bathroom.

normalyl we catch him mid act though.