View Single Post
Old August 7th, 2008, 07:30 PM

Blood in dog's urine

I've see one or two threads regarding this, but am just wondering if anyone has any more insight.

A short time ago I took my dog out. He had been holding it for some time, and had quite a long pee. When we moved a little further on, he had another pee, and this time I notice a small amount of blood. He went again a little further on, and again there was a small amount of blood, but less this time. Anyway, we did the circuit around the block, and he went a few more times but there was no more blood.

He is behaving, eating and drinking normally, and having normal bowel movements. Besides the blood those two times, he's been peeing normally. He hasn't been injured, isn't actively bleeding, doesn't seem to be in any pain, and doesn't object to being touched or squeezed.

The only thing I can think of is that his urethra was irritated -- I've been at home but have been busy, and he's been hiding out of my sight in a cool room to escape the heat (again, normal behaviour), and didn't come to tell me he needed to go out, so he had been holding it for an unusually long time. I understand blood in the urine can also indicate a bladder infection, but he doesn't seem to have any of the other typical symptoms.

I called the vet, and was told to keep an eye on him and to take him in if it happens again, but am just wondering if anyone has any more insight.