View Single Post
Old June 4th, 2010, 08:23 AM

My dogs situation. Advice?

Just a heads up-this post will probably be painfully long

I got my dog Toby from the pound when he was a puppy, I was about 13 years old. He was a border collie X sheltie. I had never had a dog before, and my Mom had very little experience. Looking back, just getting a dog without being completly prepared was a bad decision on our part.

I did a lot of work with this dog. We started doing obediance classes and fell in love with them. We moved onto Rally, then agility. However he was always VERY reactive towards other dogs and no amount of socializing had ever helped. He could never focus if another dog was around. Taking him for walks was horrible-I had to be very careful where I took him because if he saw a dog a block away he would bark as loud as possible and just about yank me over. Instructors tried to help me with him, but even they couldn't get him to stop reacting like this. It got to the point where I couldn't take him to classes anymore, because he was so disruptive (espcially agility, but we shouldn't have been doing that without having his full attention anyway).

So fast forward a few years. Last year I decided to move out of the house. I tried taking him with me, but his barking and seperation anxiety was so bad he had to go back to Moms. It was too hard for her to look after him alone (she was working all day, etc.) so we came to the decision of finding him a new home.

I trusted Moms opinion (another mistake on my part). She found him a home with a man who just loved him to pieces and spoiled him rotten. What we didn't know was that he had spent the majority of his life in jail.

When he went back to jail, his ex and his daughter got Toby. They also love him to death and treat him the best they can, but I don't think they have much experience with dogs. She has charges against her, so there is the possibility she will be going to jail as well. She often ties him up out front (he loves sitting outside) however makes no effort to stop his barking. Finally the neighbours called the cops on her (I'm surprised it took this long!) and he now has to wear a muzzle. I have no idea what will happen if they call again.

I am in touch with his owner and able to see him whenever I'd like. I'm so stressed out about the situation and have no idea how to help him. I can't believe I let this happen to my own pet and I can't see any way of fixing the situation.

The apartment I have lined up for September is no pets, so the best I can do is find an animal friendly place next May incase I need to take him. As well as putting money into a savings account for him, being the broke college student that I am!

There were so many things I wish I would have done differently. Found him a behaviourist, or got the help of a rescue for rehoming him.

Is there anything I can do? Do you have any advice for me?
Thanks so much for reading this!