View Single Post
Old December 2nd, 2012, 04:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWanda View Post

I don't think she is getting any worse so haven't asked for more doxy but I read that it is helpful for cancer so wasn't sure if I should give it or not.

Right now I am giving the following:
IP6 500mg twice daily
Curcumin/bromelain 300mg/150mg twice daily
Lactoferrin 250mg daily
2 Tbsp flax oil mixed with cottage cheese (Budwig diet) daily
Purica Immune 7 (mushroom with reservatrol and green tea extract) 325mg/100mg twice daily
CoQ10 50mg daily
MSM/boswellian 500mg/150 daily

Because I am not sure about everything else I kind of alternate so depending on what foods I am giving (which are usually cooked meats, steamed veggies) if I feed a lot of fish or liver which may have more selenium for example than I don't give selenium but I do add the following maybe every other day:

Wild salmon oil 1000mg
Vit E succinate 400IU
Vit C 1000mg
Alpha lipoic acid 200mg
NAC 500mg
L-glutamine 500mg
L-Arginine 500mg

I also picked up some nutritional yeast, blackstrap molasses, wheat grass powder which I throw in from time to time.

I have echinaceae and astragalus as well but thought I would try that when I finished the mushroom complex.
I would watch carefully for signs that you need more doxy. I know that it was not long after I stopped the doxy that Max's hemangio spread just about everywhere. I can't say for sure that it was helping keep it in check to some degree, but that is my belief.

I really like all the things that you are giving right now, they are all known to be powerful cancer fighters.

Everything else on the list are noted as cancer fighters too, but I think you have already included some of the most powerful ones.

If you look at Ogilvie's (sp?) cancer research (vet who used to have a lot of info on the web), he was a big believer in the fish oil and also the arginine. In fact, I think that's the big thing with Hill's Science Diet cancer food, it has high amounts of both of those. If you add the fish oil, the vitamin E is necessary too. My dog's never did well on fish oil, so I couldn't use it when they got sick. You can also consider DHA (algae based) if fish is an issue.

The L-Arginine, I have often been confused about. Here is some info, though I know that you've read a ton already: http://www.lef.org/protocols/cancer/...1.htm#arginine It will dilate blood vessels, and if there is systemic infection, it may make it difficult to circulate blood throughout the system. (This is what happened with my GSD Max, so I had to take out all the vasodilators that increased nitric oxide.)

In general, for a non-cancer dog, I tend to have them on E, C, and often alpha lipoic acid and l-glutamine, so hard for me to say how strong of a cancer fighter they are. The ALA however is important in helping the side effects of cancer therapy (chemo and radiation),

I think the NAC made my heart race and made me feel like I was having really bad anxiety attacks, if I am remembering correctly.

Any forms of greens, as long as there is not an allergy, is good. Max loved the barley grass green drinks (I think they taste kinda icky myself!), but current dog is allergic to the barley grass that is in them. I have a little Ninja blender and each night I mince some greens (mostly spring mix, spinach, etc.).

I don't know much about the nutritional yeast and molasses. I know that my old girl did really well when she had things that had the nutritional yeast in it, max did not, so you may have to see how that goes. I don't know much about the molasses: http://www.homeopathy-blackheath.com...apMolasses.pdf

I do not think that echinacea is nearly as powerful as most mushroom complexes. I would be very hesitant to make that exchange. I do know that astragalus can be very powerful, but I don't know it's actions as compared to a mushroom product.