View Single Post
Old August 30th, 2009, 08:05 AM

cats- pain meds after spaying?

I recently took in a cat for a couple who couldn't take care of it anymore. I was happy to do so, but the cat isn't spayed & has no shots. I don't think it's fair for the cat to not have this done, and couldn't deal with the up-front expense of all of this (upwards of $400 where I live). I took her on the condition that the couple would pay for her spaying and I'd pay for the rest, but the only way they would pay for the spay is if it's done at the Humane Society. Although I wish I could afford to have it done at a vet, I'm sure the Humane Society is safe and everything.

Now, I know it's very in and out there and I'm concerned they won't give her any pain meds. I've been reading, and some people say it's a good idea, but some say it's unnecessary. What I think is, I can only imagine the human equivalent, a hysterectomy, and if someone did that to me, I would definitely want meds.

I know the easy answer is to call the humane society and find out-- but they are closed today and I wanted to get some other feedback anyway. The cat is about a year old... she still acts like a kitten but I'm scared she might not "bounce back" in the same way a cat half her age would.

If the Humane Society doesn't give meds, I will probably call the vet doing her shots and see what they think.