View Single Post
Old June 15th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Quote:
Hi everyone

On walks, when someone approaches us to talk or say hello (and even in the house sometimes when someone comes home), my dog Max is very difficult to control. He basically starts wagging all over, from his tail to his head. Or he starts howling at the person with his tail wagging. When I try to get him to sit and stay, he almost always ignores me and just keeps lunging. He only quiets down when the person bends down and pets him. He's much better in the house, easier to calm down, listens better. But outside he just gets in a zone, a state of hyper-focus. I find in general that he is much less responsive to me when we're outside.

Any suggestions? Should we practice obedience in our backyard as a kind of intermediate step between in the house and out on walks? Toys and treats, especially chicken, usually keep his focus over and above any distractions. Maybe this can help?
Some key questions. What breed is Max and how old is Max?

The practice can only help that's for sure but most dogs greatly benefit from group obedience training. Plus, there, you get to ask a pro (get a reference from a vet or someone you trust) particular and individual questions.

I'd might suggest that if food is the primary reward, for now, AS the person approaches your dog, make the dog sit and offer a food reward only after a good sit and no howling/jumping.... but this may be 'level jumping' and your dog may need additional training before this can work.

Anyone else?
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter