View Single Post
Old July 19th, 2008, 12:49 AM

Hi everyone!

OKay, first off, here are some pictures.(excuse the mess)

and basically what he does all day: find different places to sleep!

he really did this himself, I did not coax or urge him to go on top of this unsturdy box

So I've been pretty busy the past two days, and placed my sister in charge of watching the new dog. She told me that he hasn't gone poo at all, and on Wednesday, Thursday, and today, he peed only once. He drinks plenty of water--I don't know where it goes...

He has been eating much more starting yesterday, we feed him Purina .. I don't know what kind it says "healthy Life Nutrition.. Complete & balanced" .. it's in a green bag. He actually eats pretty voraciously. I'm glad as it seems as if he could do with a few pounds of extra weight. However, no bowel movements! I am going to see the vet tomorrow, and hopefully find out what's happening.

I was at one point a pre-med then a pre-dental student, so I have seen sutures put in and taken out, so I think I can do it myself, but I will check with the vet again. The place I adopted from is a good 40 min drive away, so if the vet convinces me I'm better off letting a professional handle it, I will probably just go back to my vet instead of the shelter.

Okay, update on the anal leakage. It doesnt seem like a gland issue at all to me. Yes it smells awful, but it is not just like seeping and he doesn't rub his butt on anything. It is like small puddles of liquid occasionally. We have hardwood floors so at least it's easy to clean up, but there's already been 4 puddles he's made, and I stepped in one! When I was giving him his thrifty haircut, I noticed the hairs around his butt were stained yellow. Something is definately leaking.

On the upside, his butthole is now MUCH less swollen and looking more like what I imagine a normal dog's butthole looks like.

He still hasn't made any sounds at all -- are there dogs that are mute? But he IS seeming more intelligent every day. It must have been the surgery and the abrupt change in environment that shocked him. He responds to his name that his owners before had given him -- Wuffy. I call him that when I want him to pay attention, but to myself, I call him "Dong Dong," a Korean name, and it is pronounced like "doe" not "daw."

His fleas seem to be getting under control, he still scratches occasionally, but so far no one in the house has been bitten, and every day I kinda ruffle his fur for some fleas to try and kill em. I find at least two every day--the day he first came I killed almost 8 of them. I think that means there are plenty more hiding on him, and waiting to hatch. As of now, he is only on spot-on treatment.

Well, his tail is actually up now and he is very interested in sounds so I'm happy that it seems like he's getting used to this new environment. He doesn't however explore past the living room and kitchen. Maybe he'll get more adventurous in a few more days.

Oh! I forgot to mention one more thing. He has thrown up once. My sister said it was like pinkish and sticky. Anybody have any ideas what is causing it to be pink?

Thanks everyone. I feel like I wrote an essay, I'm sorry if this was too long. And because I really am sorry, here's an extra picture:

whoever had him before already crate trained him, he knew exactly what this was! I'm so curious why they gave him up.. they didnt tell the shelter any reason.