View Single Post
Old May 14th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Welcome, thank you for rescuing your pups. Now I am by no means an expert in any of this. When I brought home a second rescue dog I had no issues with the two of them. Lucky me. That said, my young pup always took the toys away from our 3 year old dog, always!! The older dog just allowed it. It stayed that way for life. Halo owned all the toys, Shadow had none. It worked for them, but Shadow was the alpha dog without question.

How old is your Sheltie? To be honest I think two days is a very short time and it may take much longer than that to have the dogs bond. Your Sheltie is probably still hoping the new dog will go away. I know one of our members here said her two dogs took months to bond and then they were inseperable.

I think it's very important for you to involve your Sheltie as much as possible. You want to make sure the Sheltie still feels like the alpha dog.

I'm sure other will be around to give you great advice, but I really think it may just take a bit longer. Is the rescue willing to take the Pom back if you decide it won't work out. I hope so. Good luck to you, patience.