Thread: Swimming Lab?
View Single Post
Old April 16th, 2010, 09:02 PM
He who talks with animals

Swimming Lab?

Hi,

I have a 9 month old Golden Lab who is crazy about swimming! The first time he saw the ocean in ran in and started swimming right away. The problem is that he swims out into open ocean and doesn't even look back at the shore, he literally will swim to Vietnam which is about 40km from the shore where we live, if I didn't go in after him and bring him back. Once I bring him back to the shore he is kicking and screaming saying let me back in the water. Ive tried swimming with him and turning him in a different direction other than straight out into open ocean but all he does is straighten out and head for the high seas. Ive tried throwing a ball the water and sea if he will bring it back as he does this fine on land, but he swims past the ball and keeps going. He will swim for so long where he eventually swallows salt water and gets diarrhea. So recently I decided to take him to a lake as it's calmer and and fresh water is better than salt water to drink, but he swam so far out in the lake trying towards and island about 2km where I had to strip down to my boxers and swim after him, while it was amusing for a crowd of Chinese people watching me do this but exhausting for me. I think Slurpy was meant to be a fish not a dog but I just wish he would listen to me and come back to shore. I fear that when I go camping and turn my head for a bit he will be miles out in the ocean or lake. Any advice and help would be much appreciative to this peculiar situation?