View Single Post
Old June 21st, 2011, 09:53 AM

To put things in perspective - I love my dogs but I do not regard them as humans. I understand they are animals and think and act like animals. It's not like I've never raised my voice or done the leash jerk before to them.

From the sounds of it:

Aversive techniques - leash popping etc can work.
Positive reinforcement - can work.

Both would involve a considerable amount of time and effort and both require good timing.

From my reading I have discovered this:
1. The whole "alpha" dominant wolf thing is debunked. Wolves operate as families. So our relationship with our domestic dogs is more parent/child. Still requires a certain amount of authority. Maybe the terms are just semantic. I would just view a parent/child relationship as gentler than an alpha dominant/submissive type of relationship. I haven't resorted to muzzle biting or mounting my dogs yet.
2. If dolphins, killer whales and grizzlies are trained using positive reinforcement, how would you do a leash tug to a killer whale? why shouldn't dogs be trained similarly? Should i treat them differently just because I am bigger and stronger?
3. My oldest dog yes, has taken to biting. It is definitely out of fear - she is not an overly aggressive dog. She is generally extremely submissive particularly to men. As to why she is suddenly afraid enough to bite - I'm still figuring that one out. I dont' believe she is trying to usurp my authority in some kind of doggie coup.
4. I have seen both types of trainers - all positive reinforcement and the averse leash correction Alpha type trainer.

This is the reaction to both types of training that I have observed from my dogs - i think i'm goign to have to do another post...
to be continued...