View Single Post
Old November 13th, 2009, 10:47 AM

Possible to overdose on Omega 3's?

Hi all, I was wondering if anybody has any experience with giving Omega 3's to their cats? I am just doing some research and was re-reading Dr. Lee's post on Essential Fatty Acids and more convinced that Felix needs more Omega 3's.

A brief history: Felix is about 12 years old and about 4 months ago tore his ACL in one of his hind legs. I decided not to go with surgery because his x-rays showed indications of tearing in his other leg and it would be too risky. We put him on a few drugs and Cosequin and within 3 months of rest and a great deal of patience he was pretty much brand new!! Unfortunately, about a month ago he tore his other ACL (was expected...) so we are back with some more tender loving care.

He is still on Cosequin and I feed him Orijen 6 fish dry and Wellness wet. I noticed on the guaranteed analysis for Orijen DHA is 0.7% and EPA is 0.5%. Is that enough? Or should I be added some more? If so, how much?

I am now concerned about arthritis in his legs and want to do whatever I can to help him out and perhaps "prevent" it for as long as I can.

Thanks for taking the time to read and any suggestions you may have.