View Single Post
Old April 4th, 2009, 08:30 PM

Buster is sick (Advice)

I and my wife had no idea that he (Buster - Pekingese) was sick. He acted a little lethargic but nothing like we have seen with a sick cat (we have 9) when they get lethargic. His appetite has not gone down, nor has he had no reduction in urination, drinking or eating. His breath was bad but yet it is time for a dental cleaning. He gets no cat food seeing as it stays on tables I built that are just over knee high.

We made the appointment for his regular check up two weeks ago and the appointment was today.

After doing a blood test they say he is in renal failure and has to have a transfusion. After a urinalysis they say the kidneys are not condensing the urine and that verifies that the transfusion will only make him feel better for a short while but his prognosis is that he may have six months but no more. He is only 34 months old and has not had any health problems till now. We keep our meds closed up so the cats can’t even get to them (we don’t drop them and leave any on the floor) and he has not been around any poisons. We don't have a bug problem of any sort. No I don't spray but maybe once or twice during the summer and haven't done that yet. The spray hasn't been purchased either.

I don't believe everything I read on the net but am confused as to why so few symptoms and yet prognosis so grim? He has only seemed very little lethargic for around 2 weeks but seemed to go anywhere he wanted with ease and wasn't breathing hard even playing. They say his O2 levels are low. Would seem he would be panting after running up 18 steps which he does and is not panting.

I don't mind being told things straight up and can take constructive criticism.

But I need some well founded advice please.

They are doing an X-Ray at a 24 hour hospital but haven't heard back from that yet.

Tha bank may be in renal failure but all we care about is getting him well.