View Single Post
Old July 15th, 2009, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
Do you use 'heel'? When he gets too far away (to the front or side) give him a pop with the leash and say 'heel.' Then when he comes to your side, praise him with 'good boy.' If you keep pulling they'll resist even more, which is why you need to give the leash a pop. And you're not supposed to stop. You're walking him, he's not walking you.

I've done that with every dog I've walked. My 3 month was awful at first, but he's doing very good now with this.
I agree. I have trained both my Pug and my Siberian Husky (!! major puller!!) to walk nicely this way. Our obedience trainer taught us this method and now both dogs walk beautifully. Hold the bulk of the leash in your right hand, and grab the leash with your left hand so the dog doesn't have too much slack to wander off, but the leash shouldn't be taut while walking. (The dog should be on your left). As soon as she starts pulling, give her a leash correction to the side (a "pop", as jazzy said) and say "heel" firmly. As soon as the leash goes slack, you should praise her.

I hope that made sense, it's difficult to describe certain techniques through writing!